NEW YORK NEW YORK – I shot this afternoon with a long lens. This usually doesn’t work for me – I see best with a wide angle in my hands. The lens is a 280mm Leica R with a Leica 2s tele-extender. These are out my window in the early evening. The last image required hand stacking two images to get shadow detail in the brick.
I’ve done a careful recount of total days on this project without a missed day. I’m going to start posting the running total daily. Here you go
NEW YORK NEW YORK – A busy day with my cameras. We drove back to New York (from Warren) to get Maria to a doctor – she’s had a hacking cough for two weeks now. When I arrived I found that FedEx had delivered two packages, one with my 2x tele-extender for my Leica R 280mm lens (which I can use on my Leica M camera), one of the great long lenses of all time. I also received a 75mm Leica Summicron Asph., which it turns out is a marvelous lens. The first two frames below are Baby V (our granddaughter) taken with my Monochrom and the new 75mm. In the next image I’m experimenting with the quality of the out-of-focus portions of the image (so-called “bokeh”), which is creamy and lovely, a real accomplishment for such a highly corrected lens. Finally a couple of out my windows with the 280mm and 2x tele-extender set up on a tripod. Looks fine but this combination is really fussy in use.
Apologies for the gear talk. What’s more important here is that Baby is making the transition, at just short of two months old, to having a personality. You begin to get a bit of that in the series of pictures below, taken over about a five minutes period.
On this day last year: Lipstick building. Taken with my Leica Monochrom and 5cm. Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar from 1945 – this lens rocks.
NEW YORK NEW YORK – More experimenting with odd lenses. Today I attached a Leica 280mm lens designed for the dearly departed Leica reflex camera to my Leica M via an adapter and used the M’s electronic viewfinder to focus an frame. This lens has a sensational reputation, which based on this brick wall torture test, it deserves. But it’s a handful and the Leica M’s EVF isn’t very good so it is quite hard to work with.
NEW YORK NEW YORK – I spent the photo part of my day experimenting with my new 28mm perspective correction lens. (Perspective correction lenses let you shift the lens position so that you can shoot a building for example without tilting the camera up; tilting the camera up results in converging vertical lines.) This lens was made for the Leica R single lens reflex camera. It was made by Schneider for Leica and is Leica-branded. The electronic viewfinder on my Leica M lets me use it with an R mount to M mount adapter (mine is made by Novoflex; Leica makes one but they are backordered everywhere). I spent a good part of the day shooting junk, getting familiar with the lens, which does have a bit of a learning curve.
I suffered a near disaster in producing today’s images. Somehow I lost the files. There was a 22-number gap in my Leica M files that included all of June 14. I looked at every possible way of finding and recovering them (including using a utility that recovers erased files from SD cards). No luck. I’m writing this from Connecticut a week after June 14. It turns out that I moved the files from the camera to my laptop in Connecticut, but later deleted them after I thought that I had transferred them to by desktop setup in New York, but actually hadn’t. I routinely empty my trash because trash photo images actually take up a lot of space. Ugh. But it turns out that my laptop backs up wirelessly in Connecticut and miraculously I was able to recover the missing 22 files with Time Machine. You can’t be too diligent about backing up!
Here’s what I had prepared to post for today when I thought that I had lost the files:
On this day one year ago: More trouble. Ironically one year ago was another day plagued by production problems – I walked around all day with a camera that didn’t have an SD card in it. I noticed the error at 10:30 at night and used the last bit of charge in my iPhone to capture this: