NEW YORK, NEW YORK – Lovely, enveloping early winter light this morning. Dashed out onto the street to catch it while it lasted.
NEW YORK, NEW YORK – This is a good time of the year to photograph New York in the dark – it gets dark early, around 5:00 PM. Buildings are fully illuminated because workers are still at their desks at this hour. Today we walked in the Lincoln Center to Columbus Circle area.
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – Another day with the M9 and 35mm Summicron. I took the shuttle to Boston in the early morning and managed a walk around for an hour or two before a day of meetings. Here’s what Wikipedia says about Dorchester Street and the Dorchester Street Bridge:
The Boston South Bridge over Fort Point Channel, on the site of today’s West Fourth Street Bridge, opened on October 1, 1805 as the first bridge connecting downtown to South Boston. Until it was sold to the city of Boston on April 19, 1832, it was a toll bridge. The Dorchester Turnpike Corporation (sometimes called the South Boston Turnpike) was created by the state legislature on March 4, 1805, to build a turnpike from the east end of the Boston South Bridge (Nook Point) to Milton Bridge over the Neponset River, on the other side of which the Blue Hill Turnpike later continued. Construction cost more than expected, and thus high tolls were charged, so many travelers took the old longer route through Roxbury. Despite that, the Dorchester Turnpike was one of the most profitable turnpikes, with earnings steadily climbing to a peak in 1838. When the parallel Old Colony Railroad opened in 1844, earnings quickly fell. The North Free Bridge, on the site of today’s Dorchester Avenue Bridge, opened in 1826, providing a more direct route form the north end of the turnpike to Dewey Square downtown. On April 22, 1854, the turnpike became a free public road, named Dorchester Avenue. The name was changed to Federal Street in 1856, as it provided a continuation of that street from downtown Boston (via the North Free Bridge), but it became Dorchester Avenue again in 1870.”